Monday, August 13, 2007

Do PVC Pipe and Copper Pipe Last Forever?

Having replaced every type of water line locally ( Copper, Galvanized, Blue Polybutylene, Grey Polybutylene, Polyethylene, PVC), I can come to the conclusion that the best pipes for underground are copper, polyethylene and PVC. My current personal preference is for polyethylene, after seeing 4 copper service lines (within the past 3 weeks) with totally ruined after 23 years buried in the ground. One break we dug up was in good soil, proper depth, correct grade of copper. All conditions were ideal(public water). The pipe literally could be squeezed flat with your fingers. Pinholes perforating a two foot section of pipe (Note: the county service line from meter to the main was the orginal polyethylene). This was not the first time I encountered this but made me think about how so many plumbers tell people copper will last forever. I don't think so, I tell people copper will last 20 or 30 years (buried in the ground). Polyethylene will last 20 or 25 years. PVC pipe for water service line is good for some situations (ex: 2000feet through a field with no trees) I think PVC has too many joints for line replacements. Plastic Male and female adapters do not have the ability to handle soil shift, over-tightening, poorly threaded metal adapters, and long term thermal expansion and contraction. Most of the breaks I see on PVC water service pipe are from broken fittings. The pipe sections generally do not fail and it is my pipe of choice on sewer and drain lines. In summary, no pipe will last forever in Georgia soil conditions. Copper pipe and polyethylene pipe (with brass connectors, not PVC connectors) will provide a good trouble free service life.

No comments: